Sunday, December 09, 2007

bowtie pasta



Tonight I made the best bowtie pasta EVER! Karen, Chris’s step mom, gave me the recipe, because it’s one of Chris’s favorites. Anyway it was delicious and filling. Mom and sisters… TRY IT!!

BOW TIES WITH SAUSAGE, TOMATOES AND CREAM

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed, crumbled (I use Hot Italian Sausage)
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/2 cup diced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes (chopped)
1-1/2 cups whipping cream (I put this in “to taste” since it seems like a lot to me!)
Salt to taste if needed (salt in the tomatoes is usually sufficient so I’ve never had to add any)

12 ounces bow tie pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and pepper flakes. Cook until sausage is no longer pink, stirring frequently. Add onion and garlic to skillet and cook until onion is tender and sausage is browned, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and cream. Simmer until mixture thickens slightly. (Can be prepared one day ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.)

Cook pasta al dente (firm to the bite - not too soft). Divide pasta into bowls, ladle sauce over pasta. Pass Parmesan separately.

NOTE:

1. I add extra Italian seasonings - anise, fennel, basil, oregano, thyme or you can use a prepackaged Italian seasoning mix (Schilling, etc.) .

2. You can use any pasta if you can't find the bow ties - a larger pasta such as rigatoni or large shells are better with this recipe.

3. This is definitely a recipe that you do not need to follow exactly! I usually make much more than called for in this recipe because it is so good that it will not go far!

3 comments:

Emily Christiansen said...

Lyle love Italian food.. I will have to try it. I am impress ed made this... you have turned into quite the domestic wife. Good for you!

Jason and Jessica Bills said...

That sounds good! I am going to have to make it. Did you take that picture...it looks like one that you would fin in a cookbook.

Dena said...

that does look yummy!!!!!