Wednesday, October 01, 2008

If you're wondering

The reason I'm looking close to a MARTA instead of the actual base is because the base is in the middle of College Park and i'm NOT living there. It's a BAD part of town. I've driven through it a couple times and it's not a place I'd let my family live. I looked at Douglasville and all those places, but they're all 30-45 min. away. If we're going to live that far away I might as well live where I feel safe. Besides the marta will end up saving us money in the end.

The only problem I have found with the townhome in Avendale (sp?) is it just doesn't feel safe. And the kitchen is crap. Natalie says that area is very safe, but I just get an uneasy feeling. I honestly don't know what to do. I feel like I spend all day searching for a place and I never get anywhere. This base is seriously surrounded by the ghetto. I know we need the hospital, but man I feel like I'm putting my family in danger just living here!

I've gone to Ft. Mcpherson twice using the MARTA and it doesn't take long coming from Kensington. Infact I took the Marta and WALKED all the way to the clinic in under an hour. And that base is not small... it was quite a walk. So I figure if I live over here then Chris can take the MARTA and I can feel somewhat safe. I'm REALLY not having good luck house hunting though! I feel like the only thing we can afford is crap. It makes me feel very uneasy about this whole situation.

5 comments:

Emily Christiansen said...

Good luck finding a place to live. I think it is smart trying to be close to the Marta, and I would definately NOT live in college park. Check not just the Marta routes, but maybe there is a bus route to college park that you can look close to. I know the bus goes from Jonesboro to College Park, but I am sure there are others. I think the further north you go, the safer it gets. Maybe look in Sandy Springs. I hope you find something you like. Avondale is pretty safe for being in the middle of decatur. Keep looking there if you don't like the townhouse.

Karen said...

Whatever you do, go with your gut feelings. My boss lived in the Avondale area (moved to Lawrenceville). He said to look closer to the Decatur Marta Station rather than the Avondale station (more industrial area). He did say the Decatur station area is more expensive but closer to shops, restaurants, etc. I personally don't think you should live within walking distance of any Marta station. Hope this helps!

Jaden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaden said...

My little sister lives in Lawrenceville.....and I just gave her a link to your blog. Maybe you could talk to her if that would help you. Her name is Jen. :)

Karen said...

Are you having any luck? In this real estate market you should have many choices and remember rents are probably very negotiable!