Monday, February 06, 2012

My fav Scipture

"If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; ... for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" (Ether 12:27)


The reason I love this scripture so much is because I can be weak.  I have "things" about my family that I have always thought was unavoidable... I would inherit them.  Well maybe not.  I don't have to just let things happen to me and my weaknesses aren't going to define me.  I'm a big believer in always improving and never just accepting that you will always be how you are.  No, I won't grow up being dependent on anti-depressants.  I don't need medication.  I inherited that trait by genes, but God can help, not only make it not be a weakness, but he'll turn it into a strength!  Same with my weight.  Weight problems run in my family, and I know it's going to catch up to me, BUT it doesn't have to.  Things aren't just inevitable, we make our path.  


Weaknesses I want to conquer:
Being genetically depressed.
No energy
Lazy
Horrible shape
really tired
bad sleeping habits
mediocre parent and wife
not a good housekeeper
make excuses
Quick to judge and gets annoyed easily
Not very social and shy in new situations


So there are just a few on the list of things that God is going to help me "make strong".


I never understood why some people are so stable and put-together and others are not.  I mean people with unstable brains didn't choose that.  They lay in their bed wanting to die.  Or people who have health issues that seem to take over there life.  But in this scripture is says that God gives us these weaknesses to make us humble and to have the oppurtunity to turn to him so he can help us turn that weakness into a strength.  I think that is very, very cool.  I think "perfectly normal" people who don't have suffer or turn to God for anything never grow as people.  What they find to be important are so shallow and they just have no depth to them.  I would rather have all these trials so that I can have the oppurtunity to grow and reap all the blessings from each trial I face.  


Anyway I don't know many scriptures, but out of the ones I know this is definitely a favorite. :)

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Amy, I think it takes a truly truly strong person to be able to not only be honest with themselves about their weaknesses, but to admit those weaknesses to others. I think you are stronger than even you know. Keep it up girl! Good things come to good people!