Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Today Show


I was watching the news today and they had a story on teen pregnancies. Pretty much since 2006 the states have rose A LOT! It's the new "fad" and teens are trying to get pregnant! Then they said all the reasons for teens to want to get pregnant... needing love, a community that accepts them, doesn't have a good family support system. Well I had a great family. I was always taught right from wrong, and none of my friends were having sex... in fact most of them were virgins! As a teen mom I wouldn't say those were my personal reasons. I was a teen that just thought it couldn't happen to me. I had a boyfriend that I really liked a lot, and sex was just apart of it. Like kissing, hanging out, going on dates... it just went along with those. I mean I wasn't too worried about my virtue since I left that back in the 9th grade. So what was the big deal... and my mind never fully considered pregnancy. Which is so stupid! I've ALWAYS done things the hard way! Well anyway now that I'm living it... I'm a teen mom. I see all these girls going down this road and it freaks me out! I was VERY fortunate to have Chris as the father, because he's an AMAZING father and husband. We have good lives, live on our own, and make well enough money to support a family of our own. But I see these girls getting pregnant, having babies, and just living at home while their parents babysit all the time! It makes me MAD at myself for EVER living at home after Lily was born! I know when it comes down to it, I was stupid and should have NEVER become pregnant. I had no job, I lived at home, I had nothing going for me... Chris wasn't even REALLY there. I was stupid. I don't know what I'm trying to say, but I just wish so much that these girls would figure it out! Because i didn't. I have no regrets and I'm so happy that i can have a family with Chris and that we are doing so great, but like I said before... I WAS LUCKY! If Chris decided he didn't love me and we just went our seperate ways, I would have nothing. I'd still be at home... working my butt off just to pay for childcare, because my parents aren't stupid... they wouldn't just take Lily and raise her for me while I go out and party... even if they'd love too. Anyway I just feel for these girls... that's all.
And I hate that parents are letting these girls live at home fully supported while they play!
No wonder girls don't care to get pregnant!
Why not... have a little "dolly" that's cute and then let their parents do all the hard work!
Ridiculous.

2 comments:

Emily Christiansen said...

I agree that far too many young girls are having babies and not taking responsibility. Being a mother is such a huge commitment... it scares me to death and I am 27 years old with a husband and a good paying job. I don't understand how so many young girls take it so lightly. I do, though, think that you have not become one of those girls. You have taken good care of Lily on your own and I am sure if Chris had not been the stand up guy he is, you would have made the right decision to give Lily up to someone who could take care of her. You are great and I am glad you are my sister.

Dena said...

Hey amy You have to remember I was not much older then you were when you had lily when I had Joshua. I was not even as mature as where. I think teen pregnancy has alot to do with the parents and not just the teenagers. I am not saying you. I am taking about those 15 16 year olds popping out kids. It is a joke.

I think you are doing great as a mom and I am very proud of you for deciding to raise her and marry Chris.